You have the option of completing a three-question video interview in support of your application for admission. The video interview is optional, but is strongly recommended for non-native speakers of English. We encourage all applicants to consider completing the video interview.
Please Note: After you begin the video interview, you will not be able to pause, cancel, or re-record any of your answers. Please keep this in mind as you decide when and where to complete your video interview. The video and audio must be of you, the applicant (not a proxy).
You will receive an email invitation from Kira Talent with your Check-In URL within 10 minutes after your application becomes COMPLETE for review by the admission committee. Once you have received the email invitation from Kira Talent, you can also access the Check-In URL on the Essays and Uploads page of the online application to begin your interview.
If you want to ensure that your video interview is available when your application is reviewed, please try to complete your interview within 7 days of the date you receive the invitation to the video interview (within 7 days of when your application becomes complete).
Here is what you can expect if you choose to complete the video interview:
- You will receive an email from the interview system AFTER your application becomes COMPLETE (all supporting materials received and all applicable official test scores verified). This status will be posted on the "status" page of your application.
- The email will include instructions to help ensure that your computer is set up correctly to begin the interview.
- You will then have unlimited opportunities to answer two randomly-selected practice questions an unlimited number of times to become comfortable with the system. Immediately after responding to each practice question, you will have an opportunity to watch your practice video. (Your practice videos will not be saved, nor will they be sent to Carnegie Mellon University.)
- Note that practice questions may not be similar to actual interview questions, but they will help you become familiar with the video interview system. As in a real, professional job interview, we do not share interview questions with you before the actual interview.
- When you begin the actual interview, you will be asked three (3) randomly-selected questions.
- After you see and hear each question, you will have 20 seconds to think about your answer.
- After the 20 seconds of preparation time ends, your computer will automatically begin to record your answer.
- You will have 60 seconds to provide each answer. You will have only one chance to answer each question.
- You will not be able to pause the interview after it starts.
- You will not be able to re-record any answer after the interview begins.
- You will only be able to complete the interview one time. If you want to ensure that your video interview is reviewed by the Admissions Committee, please be sure to complete your interview within seven days of receiving the email invitation to complete the video interview (from Kira Talent). You should receive this invitation within 10 minutes of when your application becomes COMPLETE.
- As with a live interview, you will not be able to view your answer to any questions from your video interview, nor will you be able to view your completed video interview.
At the conclusion of your interview, you will see a very short Thank You video to confirm your video submission. You will also receive a confirmation email from Kira Talent after your video interview has been completed. Your video interview will be automatically added to your online application.
MISM Program Scholarships
These merit-based scholarships are awarded to exceptional students joining the MISM program on the basis of academic and/or professional achievement.
Pittsburgh Regional Leaders Scholarships
Heinz College offers a limited number of Regional Leaders Scholarships to incoming full- and part-time students who have a demonstrated a commitment to the Pittsburgh community. If you are interested in a Regional Leaders Scholarship, we require that an individual who can testify to your commitment to and impact on the Pittsburgh community writes at least one of your three letters of recommendation for admission.
American Technology Fellowships
Heinz College awards a minimum scholarship of $10,000 per semester up to a full tuition scholarship to eligible students. If you are interested in an American Technology Fellowship, you must be a U.S. citizen who plans to enroll on a full-time basis and exemplifies a strong commitment to the field of IT Management.
Information Systems in the Community Program Fellowships
If you successfully complete an Information Systems in the Community summer program at Carnegie Mellon University prior to completing your bachelor's degree and are admitted to the MISM program, you may be awarded a scholarship ranging from one-half tuition to full tuition and an annual stipend of $6,000 per year.
Women in Technology Fellowships
Heinz College offers a limited number of half-tuition Women in Technology Fellowships each year. These fellowships are awarded to exceptional female students joining the MISM program on the basis of their potential for excellence and leadership in the field of information technology and management.
Women in Intelligent Transportation Fellowships
This half-tuition to full-tuition scholarship will be awarded each year to an incoming female student who is entering either the MSPPM or MISM degree program. If you are interested in the Women in Intelligent Transportation Fellowship, and are an outstanding female student who has demonstrated an interest and commitment to Intelligent Transportation Systems, you are required to choose "Transportation" as your area of interest within the online application for admission to be eligible for the fellowship. We also encourage you to use the standard essay, optional essay, or optional video essay to further express your interest in the fellowship.